MASTER BUILDERS KWAZULU-NATAL 114TH ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
On Tuesday 23 June 2015 KwaZulu-Natal Master Builders and Allied Industries Association held its 114th Annual General Meeting at the Master Builders Centre in Westville, where Mogamat Behardien, Director at NMC Construction Group, was elected to another term as President of the Executive Council.
Mr Behardien expressed concern over uncertain trading conditions stating:
"We are still faced with many unknown factors that influence our industry such as inconsistent electricity supply, fluctuating oil markets, possible interest rate hikes as well as increased electricity tariffs. Having to face these challenges head on, along with others such as strike action relating to wage and salary negotiation, adds to our business risk."
In his keynote address, MEC for Economic Development, Tourism & Environmental Affairs, Mr Michael Mabuyakhulu, addressed the need for economic transformation and an accelerated pace of social development. He drew attention to the National Development Plan and Governments' commitment to invest R840 billion in infrastructure projects. The MEC referred to several current projects as well as future projects for the KwaZulu-Natal province and highlighted the job creation that would arise from it. He also stressed the role of industry in giving opportunity for skills development to the previously marginalised.
Executive Director, Vikashnee Harbhajan reported on the Association activities during the period under review, highlighting the following:
- The Association had a record number of 753 members.
- The visibility of Master Builders KwaZulu-Natal branded vehicles across the province.
- Launch of Master Builders KwaZulu-Natal Occupational Health Clinic.
- Expansion of mobile clinic service with 2 mobile clinics on the road.
- The establishment of the Master Builders KwaZulu-Natal Recruitment Agency.
- Merging of Excellence in Construction Awards with Occupational Health and Safety Awards.
- The Association anti-corruption programme.
- Representations on Sectoral Determination for the Building Industry.
The Executive Director informed Members of the Vuka Makhi programme, inspired by the 'Go for Gold' model with 20 Grade 11 learners currently in the programme, which is designed to take learners from education to employment. It was noted that a high level of enthusiasm has been displayed by schools, parents and learners to partake in this programme and that the Association looks AGM 2015forward to achieving its desired outcomes. Coupled with this, the Association has also awarded bursaries to deserving students in building related disciplines.
The Executive Director further noted that the Master Builders KwaZulu-Natal Quality Improvement Programme is progressing as envisaged with pleasing participation in the Building Industry Forum by other relevant stakeholders in the built environment.
Included in proceedings was the first graduation ceremony for the Master Builders KwaZulu-Natal Emerging Contractor Programme. Launched in 2013 as part of its commitment to driving projects which assist both the industry and the national imperatives of the country, the Association was extremely proud to recognise the first 25 participants to complete the two year programme.
The Executive Director took the opportunity to congratulate the newly elected Executive Council Members and informed Members that the Association remains committed to serving their best interests.
The Executive Council for the next term of office is as follows:
- Mogamat Behardien, NMC (President)
- Francois Louw, Met Builders (VP)
- Joyce Dolly Tembe, Sakhisizwe Development Training (VP)
- Chris Cusens, WBHO (VP)
- Mpume Mhlongo, Microvulintuthuko Business Enterprise (VP)
- Vic Naidoo, C & R Contractors (Immediate Past President)
- Ash Maharaj, Edison Power
- Marcus Gonzalves, FS Gonzalves Construction
- Steve Poorter, Aveng-Grinaker LTA
- Ayanda Notshweleka, Masakane Construction
- Phumelele Bam, Zenzulwazi Plumbing and Contracting
- Mohammed Khan, Exclusive Structural and Engineering Projects
- Thys Blom, Plankonsult
- Sheldon Marais, SM Building Contractors
- Sam Ngcongo, Bencon Building and Civils
- Ray Basson, Anthony and Basson (Co-opted)